Thursday, March 25, 2010

Taking work home with you

My mother once told me that my greatest asset is the unconditional love I give to everyone. I was probably seven. I understood her, I "loved everybody" (to quote The Presidents). At the time I really did. It was strange, I just had this never ending love for people. This, however, I think led to the opposite, sort of. I attached quickly and was disappointed many times. I still feel this urge to just love though, to be interested, to be a part of lives.
So I think, perhaps, life is supposed to consist of giving your heart away and knowing you may have to mend it later but having to take the risk anyway. Recently I learned a little girl at my work is terminally ill. For being part of my everyday life I took the news well (I think). I spoil her a little more. Sneaking pieces of candy now and then. Taking extra time with her and cherishing it.
There is also a little boy. Not just any little boy, but a two and a half year old that has stolen my heart. I have a serious bond with these children. They are such amazing little people. I hope that my love stays with them forever, I know I'll never forget these moments.

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing how people can leave imprints on your heart. I used to work at a school program when I was first married. Those kids still cross my mind...especially a couple that I will hold close forever. And then of course working with particular people in different callings...YW for example. I know that they are older then the kids you are talking about, but the impressions, memories and feelings of love...those are the kind of things that you can take with you, forever.
    I'm sure these kids will remember you and how you made them feel, sweet Kari Rae.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a daycare is a perfect place for you to be since you love so much. It is not a place I could thrive like you do. Those kids are lucky to have you with them in their days.

    ReplyDelete